The second character strength I learned from “Character Strengths and Virtues, A Handbook and Classification” : “Love of Learning“. It again confirms and verifies the important role played by teachers, the learning environment and the nature of tasks in cultivating one’s love towards learning a subject matter.
Definition: This strength describes the way in which a person engages new information and skills. People with this strength experience positive feelings when they are in the process of acquiring new information and skills, it can be just building on existing knowledge or learning something entirely new.
My 10 Key Takeaways：
1. The Love of Learning strength comes from intrinsic motivation i.e. learning for the sake of learning, for the enjoyment and challenge.
2. People with love of learning must feel they are mastering a skill or filling in the gaps in their knowledge in the process of learning.
3. The learning environment is a web of relations: the learner and the materials; the teacher to the materials; the learner to the teacher; the teacher to the learner’s academic work; the learner to peers regarding academic work and the relation among the learner, parents and teacher regarding academic work. Each of these relations must support engagement and collaboration.
4. Teacher plays a key role in supporting the love of learning for a certain subject by how he/she –
- Structures the content and curriculum
- Enables students to make meaningful and connections to the content
- Genuinely likes the students and develops a connection to the students
- Develops a clear plan for the class that build on what the students knows, focuses on the students as learners and conveys an expectation that they can and will learn
- Supports students to sustain the frustration that is inherent in learning
5. Constraints of the school setting (limited course options, grades, pedagogical practices) may limit opportunities for interest development.
6. It is important that students/learners appreciate the structure of the classroom or task as having a mastery approach – this can be accomplished by emphasizing goals.
7. Love of Leaning can be nurtured by tasks which are (i) complex enough to require collaboration and encourage sharing of different perspectives and (ii) authentic and meaningful.
8. Love of Learning can be strengthened by fulfilling people’s need for belongingness, competence, positive feelings and utility.
9. People with love of learning place greater value on the content that they are learning.
10. The Love of Learning strength has to be nurtured if it is to be sustained over time.
Related link: The importance of a good teacher: “Galileo’s Teacher”. http://ahypatia.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/galileos-teacher/
Is Love of Learning one of your character strengths? You can find out and get a FREE full character strength report from HERE.
3. 学习的环境是一个关系网络：学习者和教材的; 教师和教材的；教师和学习者的学术工作的; 同行的学术工作和学习者的学术工作以及彼此之间的关系，家长和教师的。每一个以上的关系人都必须支持在学习上的参与和协作。
4. 教师在支持学生对热爱学习某一主题有着关键性的作用 —
6. 学习者对课堂或任务的结构是否有一个掌握方法的看法是很重要的 –这可以通过强调设定目标来完成。