In September last year, I started 3GT Strengths Project 3GT计划. It has been 6 months now and it is a good time to conduct a review and give a progress report on the Project.
3GT Strengths Project is my effort of “giving” after an inspiring learning journey about Character Strengths with VIA Institute on Character. 3GT Strenghts Project offers each month a FREE VIA Character Strengths profiling analysis report known as ViaPro Report (see sample) worth USD40.00 to one person who would like to learn more about his/her own strengths and how to use the strengths.
To-date, I have given away 6 VIAPro Reports to 6 persons and provided coaching sessions to go through the report with them. Of the 6, 2 are ladies and 4 are gentlemen. 5 of them are between the age of 24-28, while one is aged 33.
The sessions were enlightening for me as I observed how each of them learned more about themselves in the process. There were a few interesting observations I made:
- A Good Conversation Tool – VIAPro Report is an excellent tool to start a coaching conversation that gradually leading to a deeper level.
- Accurate and Reflective– All 6 agree that the top 5-8 character strengths represent their strengths well, even though some disagree with the order of the ranking.
- A-HA Moments – There is almost always some “A-HA” moments for the coachees, having sudden realisation or a deeper understanding of themselves, while we go through the VIAPro Report. For instance, a coachee suddenly realised why he had been so unhappy with his current job despite the good monetary reward. His utmost character strength was Fairness, Equity and Justice. His work environment was providing just the opposite.
- Values-linked – VIAPro Report not only tells of a person’s character strengths, it gives a good gauge of the person’s value system – what are the things that are important to them. I rely on it a great deal, when I conduct career coaching, to assess work-environment fit. A good example will be the one I mentioned above.
- Career Relevance or the Lack thereof – Perhaps it was the age-group (24-33) that I am dealing with. At this age, career success is their greatest concern. Their immediate response to the VIAPro Report was …”So, what does this mean to my career?” They are obviously much less interested to know about their charater strengths than their skill strengths that will bring about career success.
- Focus on Weaknesses – There is almost always a tendency for coachees to regard the lesser strengths as “weaknesses” and focus their questions on “how to improve” these lesser strengths them. For instance, one gentleman was so disappointed that his “leadership” strength was at the bottom five that throughout the coaching session, his questions were just on how to strenghten his leadership skills.
Are you interested to find out your character strengths and get a FREE VIAPro profiling analysis? If yes, please click HERE.
从去年九月，我开始了3GT Strengths Project 3GT计划至今，已有六个月。六个月是一个很好的时间来对3GT计划作一个进度报告。
■恍然大悟的一刻：几乎每一位朋友都在我们讨论VIAPro报告时，有他们自己恍然大悟的一刻 — 一个突然觉悟，或突然更深入的明瞭自己的一刻。例如，其中的一位朋友终于明白为什么他尽管工作上有很好的酬劳，他还是非常的不开心。他最强的性格优点是为“公正，公平和正义”。而，他的工作正正提供了一个相反的工作环境。