The most important skill I appreciate learning in coaching people is to just “ASK questions, ask good questions. Never tell.” Why only ask? Because –
- The issues are theirs and the answers indeed are with them;
- The process of searching for answers allow them to understand themselves better, to analyse their own issues in-depth and eventually own up the problems;
- Coming up with solutions themselves empowers them to be fully responsible to take charge of their own action plans;
- With all the above, it boosts their confidence and enhance their ability to handle issues on their own in future; and
- Asking (good) questions allows exploratory conversation to take place. Telling stops the exploration, which we have already learned, is the most critical phase in any coaching models.
A good coach asks good questions – those that will guide the coachees to understand themselves better and to analyse their own issues in-depth to eventually lead them to arrive at a satisfactory solution for themselves to move forward.
Learn to ask good questions to help people better — they can be anyone in need, your coachees, your students, your staff, your friends and even your kids.
我在教练课程学到最重要的辅导技巧是“问问题，问好问题。关注於问而不是给答案。” 为什么？因为 –
一个好的教练会要求问很好的问题 – 好问题指导辅导对象对自己和自己的问题进行深入分析，并最终找到一个令他们自己满意的的解决方案而向前迈进。